Add a PowerBI connection to your decube so that you can discover the lineage of your assets from source to dashboards.
Connecting to PowerBI requires credentials that can be configured and found through this guide. These credentials include:
Required credential to connect Decube to PowerBI
- 3.Microsoft SQL
- 1.Access to Azure Active Directory for service principals.
- 2.A PowerBI Premium workspace. ( Premium per-user or Premium capacity )
- 3.Admin access to PowerBI to change Tenant Settings.
- 1.Go to Azure Active Directory, under the Manage tab to the left of the screen, look for
App Registrationsand click it.
- 2.Click on
New Registrationson the top of the tab and you'll be presented with the screen below.
- 3.We recommend entering
decubeas the Name. Click Register when you are done.
- 4.Click Overview on the left tab and take note of the
Tenant IDwe would require when setting up decube.
- 5.Click on
Certificates and Secrets on the left tab again and click on
New Client Secretas below. We recommend the description to be
'decube client secret' and the expiry date to be until the end of your contract with us.
- 6.Make sure to copy the Value of the Client Secret and store it somewhere safe like Azure Key Vault. We will need this value for registration.
- 6.Go back to the Azure Active Directory main page and on the left tab again click on Groups. Click
Create New Group.
- 7.Ensure Group Type is
Securityand most importantly, click on members and search for the previously configured Service Principal. Here it would be
- 8.Click on Create and we are done retrieving the
Client Secretfor this integration.
- 2.On the left tab, click on Workspaces and select your desired workspace. Here we selected decube. You can see the Workspace ID on the URL of your browser when you click on your Workspace.
- 4.Click on the
Moreellipses ( three dots ) next to
Create appand then click on
- 5.Click on
Add Peopleand find the name of your Service Principal earlier, which is
- 6.Make sure you set it as
- 7.Back on the main Workspace page, on the top right corner, click on the gear icon to Setting and below
Governance and Insightyou will find
Admin Portal.Click that.
- 8.Here, find Tenant Settings and search for
Allow service principals to use Power BI APIs under Developer Settings.
- 9.Enable it and either
Apply to Entire Organisationor
Specific Security Group.Here you can search for the one we created earlier. Example of how it should look like below.
- 10.Please enable and do this for the following settings as well under
Allow service principals to use read-only admin APIs
Enhance admin APIs responses with detailed metadata
Enhance admin APIs responses with DAX and mashup expressions
So you have configured all the creadentials and settings to connect to decube. If there is any issues, please do reach out to us.